Asparagus and Potatoes
1 lb asparagus
2 large russet potatoes
3 large cloves garlic
salt and pepper
4 Tbs olive oil
1. Heat the over to 450 degrees. Cover a sheet pan with foil, if you are trying to be more eco-friendly, don’t worry about the foil, it’s just there to make clean up a snap.
2. Cut a thin strip off the bottom of each potato, this will make them lay flat, which makes it easier to slice the potatoes. Thinly slice: the potatoes, shallot and garlic.
3. Place on the pan and coat with 2 Tbs. of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Put in the oven, on the center rack. Cook 15 minutes. Start prepping the scallops, recipe below.
5. Chop ½ inch off the ends of the asparagus (or more, if the ends are really tough).
6. Remove the potatoes from the oven, turn the potato mixture. Place the asparagus on top. Drizzle 2 Tbs olive oil and season the asparagus. Return to the oven for another 15-20 minutes (depending on the size of the spears, the thicker they are, the longer they should cook).
1 lb scallops
2 Tbs fresh thyme leaves, stripped from the sprigs
about 1 cup dry white wine
1 lemon, zested and juiced
salt and pepper
1 Tbs and 1 tsp butter
1 Tbs olive oil
1. Pat the scallops dry, salt and pepper one side. In a large, 10 inch skillet, heat the 1 tsp butter and the olive oil. Butter adds more flavor, but burns more easily than oil, so I use a little of each.
2. When the oil and butter start to bubble, add the scallops, seasoned side down. Salt and pepper the other side. Allow the scallops to cook 4 minutes on one side. If the pan starts to really dry out; add few Tbs of white wine.
3. Turn the scallops. Cook another 2-3 minutes.
4. Remove scallops from the pan onto a dish. In the same pan, add ¾ cup wine and the lemon zest. Whisk together. This deglazes the pan and adds lots of flavor. Allow to simmer and reduce, about a minute. Add lemon juice, butter and thyme. Whisk. Allow to reduce slightly, about 2 minutes. Add scallops and any juices that may have run out of the scallops, back into the pan. Cook for 1 minute.
5. Plate, spooning some sauce over the scallops.