When I discovered Babycakes in NYC, I cheered! I bought this book as soon as it came out. I have a few vegan friends and like being able to bake for glutards and vegans in one fell, tasty swoop.
- The recipes produce tasty baked goods with a pleasing texture. Pretty amazing feat considering the lack of gluten, refined sugars and animal products.
- This book really focuses on healthful eating. Babycakes uses a lot of coconut and bean flours to help us g/f bakers get some much needed fiber. Combine the fiber with the low-glycemic sweetner, agave nectar and you have a healthy, filling breakfast or snack.
- I sometimes find that bean flour overwhelms the taste of the baked goods, but the combination of ingredients keeps this from happening.
- Nothing comes out overly sweet.
- This book touts itself as being gluten-free, but frequently uses spelt flour, which does contain gluten and is not suitable for celiacs or other gluten allergies. Babycakes says that they have procedures to avoid cross-contamination between products with spelt and those that are truly gluten-free. I don’t mind the inclusion of spelt, but I wish that Babycakes had also provided a truly gluten-free alternative/substitute. In order to really take advantage of lots of the receipes, I have had to experiment a lot in order to find suitable replacements. I buy gluten-free cookbooks to avoid this process.
- Several ingredients frequently used in this book are relatively pricey. The price of agave nectar has come down a lot recently, but a small jar of coconut oil is more expensive than anything else I have seen on the baking aisle. I tried to buy this at the local Super 88, however, the coconut oil purchased there tasted literally like vomit. I had to brush my teeth 3 times to get rid of the taste. Lesson learned: don’t cheap on the coconut oil. It’s not good.
This is certainly great inspiration, but given the amount of recipes containing gluten, it won’t be your go to reference guide. I still love you, Babycakes and plan to visit you every time I am able!